Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Endless Abyss of Books




By Lidia Pacelli

This photograph is a little bit scary. It is very dark and the shelves of books are a little bit intimidating. The focal point of the picture is the light on the bookshelves in the back which, to me, look like they are sneaking forward to come out of the page to attack the viewer. I choose this photograph because it made me feel that the bookshelves were overwhelming the people studying in the library and scaring them away with the dark bookshelves on the side, and the light ones in the background.

11 comments:

  1. Whoa! Fear of bookshelves in a library! Maybe you should send this photo along with your thoughts to Stephen King; he might be able to use it as a theme for yet another bestseller! M.Night Shyamalan is another person you may wish to contact. Really, I do admire your power of imagination!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED this image... I have been there before where you think the books will start flinging themselves at you. I think you really got the emotions one feels after a good deal of studying at the library.
    Also, your use of lines from the shelves make this photograph seem to go on forever, and play tricks with the mind, which I think was very clever! The framing of the dark shelves on the sides and the light in the middle also gives the feel of good a good, well thought out composition.

    Kayleigh S.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the artists statement, this photo is a little bit eerie. But in a good way I think! I liked the different values, from dark in the foreground, to the very light at the end of the shelves in the background. I also liked how even in the darker values the different colors of the books still shown through, making it easy to see just how many books were stacked from end to end. I really liked this composition, the book shelves do like as though they are coming towards you.

    Natalie L.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This photo brings back memories of being stuck in the library after hours of studying for finals! I like the angle this picture is taken from. It makes the lines created by the bookshelves seem never ending and ominous. I also like the lighting, after the never ending book shelves it seems like there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I also like the clarity of the books in the foreground and how they all seem to blend together in the background.

    Briana B.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This picture is great because my first impression of it is that it's a little bit scary and overwhelming, and it immediately draws an emotion from me. What I like most about it is that you can't tell where the bookshelves end. They appear as if they might continue going back for forever. The bookshelves in the middle also appear to be moving back toward the viewer, making the viewer feel as if they are literally in the scene and giving them a false sense of claustrophobia. This photo really sucks you in and makes you feel trapped. Very interesting picture!

    -Kristin S.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This picture reminds me of the movie Monster Inc. First off, the bookshelves create a parallel that makes a very cool lighting effect, it goes from being dark and loomy to bright in the back of the shelfs. And in the back is where the two tall bookshelfs look as if they are characters in a monster movie or something. The lighting makes this picture unique. Only in the library would a picture of books be scary.

    Samey C

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is an interesting view of the library. The darkness in the corner made me feel lost in knowledge. I also liked the title because it fits well. It fits well because the vague lighting and dark corners almost mimic an actual abyss. Overall I think this is a great comparison to knowledge through art.
    Gilbert T

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah I agree this is a great picture. In a way its advocating for education with the bookshelves paralleling one another. It reminds me of a saying "no matter how hard things get there is always a light at the end of the tunnel."
    This is a great shot of the books.

    Lencolla R.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marshall Taylor

    I love the picture because it demonstrates what the library is used for! The more books you read the more knowledge you will have!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really enjoy this picture because of the way you explanied it in class. If I was to simply look at this picture I would enjoy it because it looks as if the books just go on forever. taking a second look at it after your explanation, I love it even more. It really does look like the book shelves are coming after you. This is a feeling i'm sure many college students have had after a long night in the library.
    Matt Landau

    ReplyDelete